Comments

Tuesday 5 March 2013

My Current Diet Plan

Posted by at 10:08 Read our previous post
I'm always hesitant about using the word 'diet' because I hate what it stands for. When I think of a diet I think of a short term weight loss plan that promises drastic results over a course of a couple of weeks or months. To some people this might be appealing, but to me it just doesn't make sense in the long run. What I've done is not just dieting, I've made a lifestyle change. It isn't just about losing weight, but getting healthy and comfortable in my own skin.

Today I thought I would share some of the tips and tricks that have worked for me. I am by no means a nutritionist, but I have done some experimenting and have found what seems to work for me.

Some of the rules I've made for myself:
1. Do NOT drink your calories! One of the hardest rules to remember is that all drinks (alcoholic and otherwise) except for water contain calories. You might think you're doing better just by cutting out pop - and you are, don't get me wrong - but juice and milk all contain calories as well. Sometimes you can just get sick of slugging back water all the time, so some good alternatives for when you need a change are diet pops (I know, I know, but having one Coke Zero every once in a while really isn't going to kill you, I promise!) and Trop50 orange juice. We almost always have at least one bottle of this juice in our fridge, and I use it for everything! Making shakes, to drink, to flavoring sauces and yogurts. If you're watching your weight and trying to count calories and nothing seems to be working out for you, take a look at what you're drinking!

2. Eat breakfast! Up until last fall, I was adamant about not eating breakfast. I didn't like breakfast food all that much, I never had time in the mornings, I didn't like eating on the go, I had plenty of excuses. But then I started making a morning shake to take to class with me and my opinions changed. Now I eat breakfast within an hour of waking up and it really helps jumpstart my energy and metabolism for the day! Expect a post coming soon about some breakfast ideas that are good for both you and your tastebuds.

3. Cut down on carbs! Don't get me wrong, I love bread. And pasta. And rice. And cheese. And just about everything else in this world that is chock full of that dreaded c-word. There are all kinds of diets out there that push no-carb or low-carb but the trick is a balance. Don't fully deplete yourself of them, but don't overload either. I still eat bread and pasta and rice and cheese, I just eat less of it. Which brings me to ...

4. Portion control! The main tool that has helped me kickstart my lifestyle change was the kitchen scale I got for Christmas. I use it for EVERYTHING I eat, it drives my mother insane. But the only accurate way to get a calorie count is by weight. It's great because you know exactly what you are putting into your body and it also helps to view things differently. For example, 200 grams of a boneless, skinless chicken breast is only 200 calories and takes up a large part of your place, but on the other hand, 200 grams of my absolute favorite pasta with pesto sauce is over 400 calories and doesn't take up nearly as much room.

5. Have a cheat day! Sometimes, you just need one. Sometimes your body is just craving something sweet or something greasy or something cheesy and sometimes you just have to indulge. I give myself one cheat day a week where I don't count my calories and listen to what my body wants. It helps to kickstart your metabolism again too, and in all honesty isn't going to slow down your weight loss. It's also a great tool to keep you going throughout the week, giving you something to look forward to so you don't get discouraged and fall off the wagon.

I strongly suggest downloading a calorie counting app like My Fitness Pal. If you don't have a smart phone, it can be used online here. This is what my daily goals look like, after submitting my starting weight, current weight, goal weight, gender, and height.

Net Calories: 1200
Total Fat: 40 g
Total Cholesterol: 300 mg
Total Sodium: 2500 mg
Total Potassium: 3500 mg
Total Carbs: 165 g
Total Sugars: 24 g
Total Protein: 45 g

The goal numbers for everything except for calories will increase depending on the amount of exercise performed during the day. It's important to note that all of these except for protein are levels that you want to stay below, while protein is a level that you want to either meet or exceed. I'll be putting up another post soon with my favorite protein sources!
Those are my main rules and tips for others if they're looking to either change things up in their current diet or start a new lifestyle with me!
My day so far in My Fitness Pal

No comments:

Post a Comment

© { spurs & curves } is powered by Blogger - Template designed by Stramaxon - Best SEO Template